For each species this app provides:
- The Botanical name, family and a number of vernacular names common to East Africa.
- The Botanical description of each species with at least 4 pictures showing the botanical features for easy identification.
- The growth characteristics for each species with special attention to growth rate, hight at maturity, sun or shade tolerance, and specific soil requirements.
- The service the species delivers to humans and the environment, like the presence of edible parts, natural medicine qualities, use as animal or bee fodder, ways it can be planted as ornamental or as a soil fertility enhancer.
- The wood products and wood properties such as the use as good charcoal, use as outdoor timber, termite resistant qualities or the softness or lightness of the wood.
- Propagation and tree management information, such as how to multiply the species, how many seeds can be found in one kilogram, how long it takes to germinate and how to care for it after planting.
- Growth location reccomendations, additional information on ecological zones and the natural habitat of the species.
The author has been working since 2002 in Uganda on sustainable agriculture systems and collecting data on indigenous trees. A part of his experience is made available to you by this application.
If you want to find out which tree species you can plant on your plot, and whether this species is fast or slow growing, producing hard or soft wood, suitable for swampy or other soil conditions, than this is the app for you.