Updated with 1,000 essential new terms--from "whistleblower" to "bailout" The first book of its kind when it was originally published in 1980, Burton's Legal Thesaurus has become a staple for everyone in the legal profession. Addressing the newest concepts before the nation's highest courts, the fifth edition celebrates 35 years of this one-of-a-kind law reference tool. With 11,000 critical-to-know legal terms, synonyms, definitions, and parts of speech, Burton's is essential for:
• Partners, associates, attorneys, and judges, who will appreciate the timeliness of the 1,000-plus new entries
• Law school students seeking to use a more specific word or recall a forgotten word
• Journalists and scholars looking for the right word to fit the thought
William C. Burton, Esq., is an attorney and partner in the law firm of Sagat|Burton LLP. He is a former New York State Assistant Attorney General and a former New York State Assistant Special Prosecutor. He is also founder of the Burton Awards for Legal Achievement. The first edition of his Legal Thesaurus was named one of the "Most Creative and Innovative Projects of the Year" by the Association of American Publishers. Burton has been awarded the Blackstone Award by the Friends of the Law Library of Congress for "embodying and promoting the best ideals of the institution."
A SEARCH TOOL
featuring search autocomplete to help you find words quickly by displaying predictions similar to the terms you're typing. You also get enhanced search extras including:
• A quick search of words while you type.
• A 'fuzzy filter' for when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word.
• A 'keyword' search for finding key words within compound words.
• A wild card search function ('*' or '?') which can replace a letter or entire parts of a word.
• Download dictionary definitions locally for offline word lookup.
A LEARNING TOOL
including a number of features that help you further enhance your vocabulary:
• A 'Favorites' feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library, including cross-curriculum words.
• History list to help you easily review looked-up words.
• Discover more using the included special language notes.
• See words in context with example sentences.
• 'Word-of-the-day' feature with dedicated homescreen widget.