Play with the instruments of the orchestra and hear them perform Benjamin Britten’s famous piece, The Young Person’s Guide to the Orchestra, with The Ultimate Guide To Music book and this FREE app.
If you’ve got the The Ultimate Guide To Music book, download this FREE app to interact with 25 instruments, correctly place them in the orchestra and then try the audio quiz to see if you can identify the sound. The recording of Britten’s Young Person’s Guide to the Orchestra is performed The Royal Northern College of Music and conducted by Sir Mark Elder.
• Get up close to 25 classical instruments by zooming in and out and rotating them 360 degrees.
• See how each instrument is played and listen to each one play a short tune.
• Can you drag and drop each instrument into its correct position in the orchestra? If you complete a section of the orchestra you’ll unlock a recording of that section playing a part of Britten’s Young Person’s Guide to the Orchestra.
• Correctly place all 25 instruments into the orchestra and you’ll get a reward of the full Young Person’s Guide to the Orchestra piece being played by The Royal Northern College of Music.
• Think you’re familiar with the sound of the instruments? Try the quiz to see if you can identify each instrument from a short clip. There are six levels of increasing difficulty.
Move your finger around the screen to get a 360-degree view of each instrument. Pinch and zoom to discover more detail. Turn the volume up to hear the magnificent audio.
How it works:
To activate each sequence within the app, turn to pages 92-93 in The Ultimate Guide To Music book. Then launch the app, point your device’s camera at the book while it is open flat on the floor or a table and watch as the orchestra comes to life.
This FREE app is available to anyone with a compatible smartphone, tablet or mobile device with a front and rear facing camera.