Records Management Mobile Application
The Department of Navy (DON) Records Management application is the mobile version of the DON Records Management training course available via NKO. This mandatory annual training provides personnel with Records Management guidelines and best practices in accordance with Federal regulations. The training helps users understand general recordkeeping methods and their own duties regarding the records they are responsible for maintaining. It also educates the user on eliminating hardcopy records in favor of electronic records. .
All DON personnel are responsible for maintaining records that they have created. Legally, a record is defined as all recorded information, regardless of form or characteristics, made or received by a Federal agency in connection with the transaction of public business and preserved (or appropriate for preservation) by that agency as evidence of the organization, functions, policies, decisions, procedures, operations, or other activities of the U.S. Government. Examples of records include final original documents, official correspondence and memoranda, senior official emails, signed policy records, personnel case files, legal records, and financial records, among other items.
Records Management involves all planning, controlling, directing, organizing, training, promoting, and other managerial activities associated with records creation, maintenance, use, and disposition. Successful Records Management achieves adequate and proper documentation of the policies and transactions of the Federal Government and effective, economical management of agency operations.
This app will help you understand the records lifecycle, dispositions, vital records, electronic records, senior records and related information. In particular, the app will help you understand your own responsibilities regarding Records Management. Some of those responsibilities include:
- Ensuring you know your agency’s policies and procedures regarding Records Management,
- Reviewing your office’s file plan and determining materials you are responsible for maintaining,
- Following the retention and disposition guidance specified in the records schedule,
- Informing your Records Manager of any discrepancies or needed updates to the file plan, and
- Understanding that you can be held liable if a record is not properly managed.
Course Completion Verification
• Military personnel may use the app to complete their annual mandatory training. End-of-course completions can be emailed to Navy Training Management and Planning System (NTMPS) for display in the Electronic Training Jacket (ETJ).
• Users should retain course Completion Certificate emails in their mobile phone Sent Items folder until successful posting in their ETJ or Fleet Training Management Planning System (FLTMPS) can be verified.
• If completion does not appear in ETJ or FLTMPS after 72 hours, users may wish to forward a copy of the email to their supervisor or FLTMPS Coordinator/Training POC as verification of completion. If needed, the FLTMPS Coordinator can record course completion manually using the FLTMPS Learning Event Completion Form.
• Questions? Contact NTMPS Support Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-866-438-2898.