No one can ever be ready for an emergency situation, but being prepared is important to ensure safety. When you know where to get information, have the right supplies, and have a plan for you, your loved ones, and your pets, you can protect yourself and your family before a crisis and for at least 72 hours afterwards.
The Homeland Security and Emergency Management Agency (HSEMA) Android application contains important information you can use before, during, and after an emergency or disaster such as:
• Emergency evacuation routes that lead you out of the District of Columbia
• Alert DC emergency text alerts
• Current weather outlooks from the National Weather Service
• Disaster safety tips
• Help lines that provide telephone numbers to essential emergency resources and information
• A calendar informing the public about emergency preparedness training and HSEMA Community Outreach events, as well as special events such as marathons and street festivals
• A direct link to the local transit authority’s (METRO) main website and twitter page
• List of shelters that are opened after a disaster occurs
• A direct link to FEMA’s website,
• Maps of where District Police and Fire stations are located
• Regional preparedness links
• Steps to take to make a family emergency plan, a go kit, and much more!
The tools contained in this application help ensure that no matter where you are or what you are doing, you will be prepared. The application is free to download through your Android phone or tablet device in the Google Play App Store.