1. It is Haram to eat Ghurab al-Abqa’ - a type of crow that eats the dead (like a vulture) as stated in al-Durr al-Mukhtar on Page 642 and also in al-Mu’jam al-Wasit Page 647.
2. Mahuka - a crow-like bird which resembles a cuckoo in its features is Halal [Radd al-Mohtar]. This is because the latter eats only grains and seeds whereas the common crow eats dead carcasses. [al-Bahr al-Ra’iq – Vol. 8, Page 313, Fatawa-e-Razawiyyah – Vol. 20 Pgs. 319-320, Firozul Lughat – Page 1364]
3. All sea creatures except fish are all Haram, such as a crab or a crocodile, an eel and so on. [al-Durr al-Mukhtar – Page 642]
4. There is disagreement amongst the scholars as regards prawn – is it considered in the group of ‘fish’ or not? Thus, it is best to avoid it.
5. If someone placed a substance (a chemical for example) by which the fish died, and it is known that the fish dided due to the cuase of placing that substance in the water, then that fish is still Halal. [al-Durr al-Mukhtar – Page 642]
6. A rabbit is Halal to eat. [al-Hidayah Page 425, al-Durr al-Mukhtar Page 642]
complete article at