What do you do when you're disconnected from the Internet, and you really need Wikipedia?
You can use WikiMotifs - a newly developed minimalistic encyclopedia for offline use, which contains all the most important information from English Wikipedia online!
Because, when looking for an answer you don't have to read the whole page, you can often manage with one or two sentences alone.
WikiMotifs contains almost every single article summary (the text at the top), from English Wikipedia when fully installed!
Being highly adaptable, WikiMotifs fits right on your smart phone or tablet. You can also easily choose how many articles to install and which one, directly from Android Market. Every library installs to the external removable media (SD CARD).
(This is the full unlimited version. There is also a free demo available.)
- 3 title libraries available which contains all of the titles. Every title refers to an article.
- 34 article libraries, which contains all of the assembled top text from almost every single English Wikipedia article.
1. Install WikiMotifs.
2. Install one or more title library.
3. Install one or more article library.
Important: Automatic update should be disabled for WikiMotifs, and it's libraries. Instead you should update everything at the same time manually, when the time comes.
- You can browse the full contents of any article online at Wikipedia.
- Touch any colored word to execute a new search query.
- Rendering equations is not supported. Prior to Android SDK 2.2 this was working perfectly, but security was tightened.
- Handling as ambiguous search queries as Wikipedia does is not supported yet. You need to be a little precise.
- Rendering equations will hopefully be possible again in the near future.
('articles' in this context referes to the content extracted from every Wikipedia article)
Q: Why should I bother installing WikiMotifs, when I can use Wikipedia online instead?
A: To be able to use Wikipedia online, you first need an established Internet connection. And some times this is impossible, or may be too costly.
Also, you shouldn't grow too dependent on Wikipedia always being accessible online, do you remember the 'blackout'?
Q: Why doesn't WikiMotifs contain as many articles as Wikipedia does?
A: Because many of the articles found at Wikipieda are 'non-content' articles, disambiguation pages, and so on. And some just doesn't have any overview text at all. Some also "broke" during converting, or was too damaged (missing tags) to begin with.
Q: How updated is WikiMotifs?
A: The dump files used is from 4th of January, 2012.
Q: How much space do i need, to ble able to install every single library?
A: A bare minimum of about 960 MB (MegaByte).
Q: Do i need to install every WikiMotifs library?
A: No, the only thing you do need is the WikiMotifs application itself. You can choose wich title and article libraries to install.
Q: Where does the application, and the libraries install itself?
A: Both the application, and all of the libraries tries to install itself to the external removable media (SD CARD). If this is not possible, it installs on the device itself.
Q: How many articles does WikiMotifs include exactly?
A: The number of articles is 3 165 241, which is equal to ~95% of all viable articles total. Number of titles is 3 180 950.