As a consumer or small business owner, you need to ensure that your interests are protected when you deal with other businesses. There are five steps that may help you do this:
1. Ask questions about the company, business and people that you are dealing with [e.g. do you know the company name and Australian Company Number (ACN); the business name and Australian Business Number (ABN)]?
2. Verify information about the company, business and people you are dealing with by checking ASIC's registers.
3. Seek help from ASIC if you need more information or from a professional business adviser (e.g. an accountant or a lawyer) if you are still unsure about the company, business or people you are dealing with.
4. Monitor the documents lodged by companies by signing up to ASIC's free Company Alert service.
5. Report suspected misconduct to ASIC if you believe that the directors or the company may be acting unlawfully. You can contact us on 1300 300 630 or lodge a complaint online.
The questions and answers in the App will take you through this process.