This app is for customers to know whats going on in south main. Until 1850, what is now South Main was actually a separate city from Memphis. It was the City of South Memphis, separated at Union Avenue. South Memphis was the residential suburb of Memphis and remained that way until the early 1900s when the railroad stations were built.
Because of Memphis' geographical location in the country, it was a perfect city to become a center for railroad traffic. Two large railroad stations opened along Calhoun Street (now G.E. Patterson), Central Station (c 1912) and Union Station (c 1914). Fifty passenger trains would pull into these two stations each day.