Enjoy reading your ebook with auto-scrolling, day and night viewing modes, bookmarks, multiple font sizes, full screen viewing in portrait and landscape orientations, and more!
- AUTO-SCROLL: Hands free reading with our advanced variable speed auto-scrolling feature.
- FULL SCREEN VIEW: No tab, navigation, or toolbars to get in your viewing way.
- BOOKMARK CONTROLS: Bookmarking lets you start up where you left off fast.
- MULTIPLE FONT SIZES: Increase or decrease the text size quickly and easily.
- DAY & NIGHT MODES: Switch from day to night mode at the touch of a finger.
- PORTRAIT & LANDSCAPE: Read your eBook in portrait or landscape position.
- AUTO SETTINGS: Your viewer settings are automatically saved and loaded.
- COPY & PASTE: Copy and paste selected text to other apps.
- TEXT MAGNIFICATION: Magnify text for easier reading.
- And more!
eBook Media Viewer Series #3
Title: The Outline of Science - A Plain Story Simply Told Vol. 1
Author: J. Arthur Thomson
Details: Fully Illustrated
The Outlines of Science - A Story Simply Told. Edited by J. Arthur Thomson, Regius Professor of Natural History, in the University of Aberdeen.
There is abundant evidence of a widened and deepened interest in modern science. How could it be otherwise when we think of the magnitude and the eventfulness of recent advances?
But the interest of the general public would be even greater than it is if the makers of new knowledge were more willing to expound their discoveries in ways that could be understood of the people. No one objects very much to technicalities in a game or on board a yacht, and they are clearly necessary for terse and precise scientific description. It is certain, however, that they can be reduced to a minimum without sacrificing accuracy, when the object in view is to explain "the gist of the matter." So this Outline of Science is meant for the general reader, who lacks both time and opportunity for special study, and yet would take an intelligent interest in the progress of science which is making the world always new.
The story of the triumphs of modern science is one of which Man may well be proud. Science reads the secret of the distant star and anatomizes the atom; foretells the date of the comet's return and predicts the kinds of chickens that will hatch from a dozen eggs; discovers the laws of the wind that bloweth where it listeth and reduces to order the disorder of disease. Science is always setting forth on Columbus voyages, discovering new worlds and conquering them by understanding. For Knowledge means Foresight and Foresight means Power.
The idea of Evolution has influenced all the sciences, forcing us to think of everything as with a history behind it, for we have travelled far since Darwin's day. The solar system, the earth, the mountain ranges, and the great deeps, the rocks and crystals, the plants and animals, man himself and his social institutions-all must be seen as the outcome of a long process of Becoming.
Table of Contents:
I. The Romance of the Heavens
II. The Story of Evolution
III. Adaptations to Environment
IV. The Struggle for Existence
V. The Ascent of Man
VI. Evolution Going on
VII. The Dawn of Mind
VIII. Foundations of the Universe
WITH OVER 800 ILLUSTRATIONS!
- iPod Touch