Charlotte Brontë (pronounced /ˈbrɒnteɪ/) (21 April 1816 – 31 March 1855) was an English novelist, the eldest of the three Brontë sisters whose novels are English literature standards. Under the pen name Currer Bell, she wrote Jane Eyre.
Jane Eyre is a first-person narrative of the title character. The novel goes through five distinct stages: Jane's childhood at Gateshead, where she is emotionally abused by her aunt and cousins; her education at Lowood School, where she acquires friends and role models but also suffers privations; her time as the governess of Thornfield Manor, where she falls in love with her Byronic employer, Edward Rochester; her time with the Rivers family at Marsh's End (or Moor House) and Morton, where her cold clergyman-cousin St John Rivers proposes to her; and her reunion with and marriage to her beloved Rochester. Partly autobiographical, the novel abounds with social criticism and sinister gothic elements.
The Jane Eyre eBook uses the established Standard Works book reader already enjoyed by tens of thousands of users. It's also the same reader which powers our "U.S. Historical Documents" application which received a perfect 10/10 rating from AppCraver.com and was recently featured on the iTunes App Store.
The Standard Works book reader is simple to use, but also contains many advanced features not usually found in other eBook readers. Rather than continually flicking through little pages of text like some book readers, the Standard Works book reader displays an entire chapter or book at once for you convenience. The text can even automatically scroll for you while reading. You can even highlight important words or phrases using the absolute best highlighting system available on the iPhone platform. Create notes for each paragraph which can be displayed inline and assign bookmarks to any paragraph in any book for future reference. And if that's not enough, quickly and easily find any text from any book with the fastest and most powerful search engine available on the iPhone.
The Standard Works book reader contains the following main features:
• Auto-scrolling (both variable-speed and tilt-based)
• Adjustable fonts, size, colors, margins, spacing, and alignment (you can even adjust the font size by using a pinching gesture while reading!)
• Highlighting - 12 background colors, 12 foreground colors, bold, italic, and underline
• Night (low-light) mode - Black background with white text
• Application tips
• Bookmarks and even folders of bookmarks
• Last location in each book is remembered
• When re-launched, you're returned to the exact location you were last at while reading
• Search for words or phrases with INSTANT search results
• Powerful advanced search options
• Create notes for each paragraph which can be displayed inline
• Animated satin bookmark (similar to the one in the Classics application)
• Ability to choose the application's color theme
Be sure to check out our Bible and "U.S. Historical Documents" applications as well as more books from world renowned authors like:
• Charles Dickens
• Edgar Allen Poe
• Hans Christian Andersen
• Jack London
• Jane Austen
• Jules Verne
• H.G. Wells
• Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
- iPod Touch