James Fenimore Cooper (September 15, 1789 – September 14, 1851) was a prolific and popular American writer of the early 19th century. He is best remembered as a novelist who wrote numerous sea-stories and the historical novels known as the Leatherstocking Tales, featuring frontiersman Natty Bumppo. Among his most famous works is the Romantic novel The Last of the Mohicans, often regarded as his masterpiece.
The Last of the Mohicans is a historical novel first published in January 1826. It was one of the most popular English-language novels of its time. Its narrative flaws were criticized from the start, and its length and elaborately formal prose style have reduced its appeal to later readers.
The story takes place in 1757 during the Seven Years' War (known in America as the French and Indian War), when France and Great Britain battled for control of the North American colonies. During this war, the French often allied themselves with Native American tribes in order to gain an advantage over the British, with unpredictable and often tragic results.
The Last of the Mohicans eBook uses the established Standard Works book reader already enjoyed by tens of thousands of users. It's also the same reader which powers our "U.S. Historical Documents" application which received a perfect 10/10 rating from AppCraver.com and was recently featured on the iTunes App Store.
The Standard Works book reader is simple to use, but also contains many advanced features not usually found in other eBook readers. Rather than continually flicking through little pages of text like some book readers, the Standard Works book reader displays an entire chapter or book at once for you convenience. The text can even automatically scroll for you in both portrait and landscape modes while reading. You can even highlight important words or phrases using the absolute best highlighting system available on the iPhone platform. Create notes for each paragraph which can be displayed inline and assign bookmarks to any paragraph in any book for future reference. And if that's not enough, quickly and easily find any text from any book with the fastest and most powerful search engine available on the iPhone.
The Standard Works book reader contains the following main features:
• Auto-scrolling (both variable-speed and tilt-based, portrait and landscape modes are supported)
• Adjustable fonts, size, colors, margins, spacing, and alignment (you can even adjust the font size by using a pinching gesture while reading!)
• Highlighting - 12 background colors, 12 foreground colors, bold, italic, and underline
• Night (low-light) mode - Black background with white text
• Application tips
• Bookmarks and even folders of bookmarks
• Last location in each book is remembered
• When re-launched, you're returned to the exact location you were last at while reading
• Search for words or phrases with INSTANT search results
• Powerful advanced search options
• Create notes for each paragraph which can be displayed inline
• Animated satin bookmark (similar to the one in the Classics application)
• Ability to choose the application's color theme
Be sure to check out our Bible and "U.S. Historical Documents" applications as well as more books from world renowned authors like:
• Charles Dickens
• Edgar Allen Poe
• Hans Christian Andersen
• Jack London
• Jane Austen
• Jules Verne
• H.G. Wells
• Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
- iPod Touch