This spectacular Blackstone Audio edition of THE MERRY ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD by Howard Pyle comes with what is perhaps the best audiobook app you will ever own, powered by the Folium enhancedAudio™ engine (see below for full feature descriptions).
THIS IS THE BOOK THE INSPIRED THE MAJOR MOTION PICTURE STARING RUSSELL CROWE.
NOTICE: This app includes the same top-rated recording released in 2009 that is available through other online outlets at higher prices. It is complete and professionally recorded at Blackstone Audio by award-winning actor Christopher Cazenove. You are not buying yet another amateur or volunteer narration. No clicks, background noises, throat clearing, mispronunciations, tinny voices or monotones will be found here.
• EXPERIENCE. Nearly 11 hours of narration. Created as a Folium enhancedAudio™ premium edition, this book is packed with extra functions and features not found on lesser players. Easily skip back to rehear a missed bit, or zip through the chapters at lightning speed.
• SLEEP TIMER. Have you ever fallen asleep watching TV or listening to a book? If so, you'll love this feature. Once set—if you fall asleep—the book will stop, place a bookmark, and allow you to jump back to where you probably began dozing.
• CLEAR & ELEGANT DESIGN. Simple, clean, intuitive, and smarter than average.
• CHAPTER TIMINGS. Always know how much time it will take to finish a chapter. Plus, the progress bar at the top of the screen shows how far into the book you’ve come.
• OFFLINE LISTENING. This app is airplane-ready. Once downloaded, you can listen uninterrupted, with no threat from a lost network connection. Downloads are usually just 5-10 minutes, but depend upon your network speed.
• AUTO-BOOKMARKING. The player remembers where you stopped listening and returns to that exact spot when you open the book again.
• PLAYER CONTROLS. Includes listen (play), pause, multi-speed fast forward/rewind (2x, 10x, 60x faster), zap ahead/back, chapter skip, volume control, chapter- and bookmark browser. There is also a “scrub” bar that moves you to any point inside the chapter with just a tap.
This professionally recorded book is perfect for your commute, on a trip, or while relaxing. Based on the library-quality edition produced by Blackstone Audio, this edition was built especially for your iPhone and iPod Touch. No unreadable text, no endless scrolling. The audio is of very high quality (112 VBR, 22kHz), making for a great listening experience that will not tire your ears.
Christopher Cazenove invests Pyle's stories with engaging voices, not just for the clever Robin and the nasty Sheriff of Nottingham, but also for minor characters such as Wat o'the Crabstaff. Cazenove keeps his voice just rough enough in singing the many ballads that punctuate the story. His narrative delivery has a gentle tone that contrasts well with the rough characters, reminding the listener that Robin Hood's story is the stuff of legend. (AudiofileMagazine.com review)
RATING: We chose to rate this app 9+ due to the fights and scrapes Robin and his Merry Men get into, as well as the political and social issues of the time.
ABOUT: The ballads of Robin Hood have stood the test of time. The rogue outlaw, who with his band of Merry Men, clad in Lincoln green clothes, were dedicated to “stealing from the rich and giving to the poor”. His primary goal: to right the injustices by the Sheriff of Nottingham wreaked on the commoners. These heroic stories began in medieval times, when this very skilled outlaw and archer was the “unofficial king” of Sherwood Forest.
- iPod Touch