THE ART OF WAR by Sun Tzu (unabridged) was produced by Blackstone Audio and comes with what is perhaps the best audiobook app available (see FEATURES, below).
Master Sun said: “Ultimate excellence lies not in winning every battle but in defeating the enemy without ever fighting.”
This is an extraordinary new reading of an ancient text. For more than two thousand years, The Art of War has stood as a cornerstone of Chinese culture, a lucid treatise revealing as much about human psychology, politics, and economics as it does about battlefield strategy. This narration explores the work in three parts: (1) the original text by Sun Tzu as translated by scholar John Minford, (2) an introduction by John Minford, and (3) the original text presented again, this time with extensive running commentary by traditional Chinese scholars and others, providing context and subtext for the work.
Self-contained, this audiobook app is perfect for your commute, on a trip, or while relaxing. Based on a library-quality recording, this app was built especially for your iPhone and iPod Touch. No unreadable text, no endless scrolling. The audio is of higher-than-normal quality, making for a great listening experience that will not tire your ears or grate on your nerves.
NOTICE: This app includes the same 5-star recording that is available through other retailers for higher prices. It is unabridged and professionally recorded at Blackstone Audio by Ray Porter and Lorna Raver, winners of multiple Earphone® Awards. You are not buying yet another amateur or volunteer narration. No clicks, background noises, throat clearing, mispronunciations, tinny voices or monotones will be found here.
“The Art of War is undisputedly one of the best-selling leadership books of all time….this message of victory without aggression still resonates with how we conduct all aspect of our lives today.”
• EXPERIENCE. About 9.5 hours of narration. Created as a Folium enhancedAudio™ edition, this book includes extra functions and features not found on lesser players.
• SPECIAL CONTENT. Commentary section includes ancient commentary and criticism on the text.
• PLAYER CONTROLS. Includes listen (play), pause, multi-speed fast forward/reverse, jump ahead/back, chapter skip, volume control, one-touch chapter- and bookmark browser. There is also a “scrub” bar that finds any point inside the chapter with just a tap.
• SLEEP TIMER. Have you ever fallen asleep watching TV or listening to a book? If so, you'll love this feature. Once set, the book will stop, place a bookmark, and allow you to jump back to where you probably began dozing.
• CLEAR & ELEGANT DESIGN. Simple, clean, intuitive, and smarter than average.
• CHAPTER TIMINGS. Always know how much time it will take to finish a chapter. Plus, the progress bar at the top of the screen shows how far into the book you’ve come.
• OFFLINE LISTENING. You are airplane-ready! Once downloaded, listen uninterrupted without threat from a lost network connection. Downloads are usually just 5-10 minutes, but depend upon your network speed.
• AUTO-BOOKMARKING. The player remembers where you stopped listening and returns to that exact spot when you open the book again.
RATING: 4+ The reading of this ancient text, ought not to be offensive.
The wisdom that has tested time for more than two thousand years, is at your fingertips. The Art of War has stood as a cornerstone of Chinese culture, a lucid text that reveals as much about psychology, politics, and economics as it does about battlefield strategy.
- iPod Touch