THE DHARMA BUMS by Jack Kerouac (unabridged) was produced by Blackstone Audio and comes with what is perhaps the best audiobook app available (see FEATURES, below).
Two ebullient young men are engaged in a passionate search for dharma, or truth. Their pursuit of the Zen way takes them climbing into the high Sierras to seek the lesson of solitude—a lesson that has a hard time surviving their forays into the pagan groves of San Francisco's Bohemia, with its marathon wine-drinking bouts, poetry jam sessions, experiments in "yabyum," and other nonascetic pastimes.
This autobiographical novel appeared just a year after the author's explosive On the Road put the Beat generation on the literary map and Kerouac on the best-seller lists. The same expansiveness, humor, and contagious zest for life that sparked that earlier novel ignites this one.
Self-contained, this audiobook app is perfect for your commute, on a trip, or while relaxing. Based on a library-quality recording, this app was built especially for your iPhone and iPod Touch. No unreadable text, no endless scrolling. The audio is of higher-than-normal quality, making for a great listening experience that will not tire your ears or grate on your nerves.
NOTICE: This app includes the same 5-star recording that is available through other retailers for higher prices. It is unabridged and professionally recorded at Blackstone Audio by Ray Porter, winner of multiple Earphone Awards. You are not buying yet another amateur or volunteer narration. No clicks, background noises, throat clearing, mispronunciations, tinny voices or monotones will be found here.
“The Art of War is undisputedly one of the best-selling leadership books of all time….this message of victory without aggression still resonates with how we conduct all aspect of our lives today.”
• EXPERIENCE. About 7 hours of narration. Created as a Folium enhancedAudio™ edition, this book includes extra functions and features not found on lesser players.
• PLAYER CONTROLS. Includes listen (play), pause, multi-speed fast forward/reverse, jump ahead/back, chapter skip, volume control, one-touch chapter- and bookmark browser. There is also a “scrub” bar that finds any point inside the chapter with just a tap.
• SLEEP TIMER. Have you ever fallen asleep watching TV or listening to a book? If so, you'll love this feature. Once set, the book will stop, place a bookmark, and allow you to jump back to where you probably began dozing.
• CLEAR & ELEGANT DESIGN. Simple, clean, intuitive, and smarter than average.
• CHAPTER TIMINGS. Always know how much time it will take to finish a chapter. Plus, the progress bar at the top of the screen shows how far into the book you’ve come.
• OFFLINE LISTENING. You are airplane-ready! Once downloaded, listen uninterrupted without threat from a lost network connection. Downloads are usually just 5-10 minutes, but depend upon your network speed.
• AUTO-BOOKMARKING. The player remembers where you stopped listening and returns to that exact spot when you open the book again.
RATING: 12+ This reading contains some rude language, suggestive themes, and drug use.
In this exuberant autobiographical novel, two young men are on a passionate search for dharma, or truth—which has a hard time surviving their forays into the pagan groves of San Francisco's Bohemia.
- iPod Touch