SAINT JOAN by George Bernard Shaw (a dramatization) was produced by Blackstone Audio and comes with what is perhaps the best audiobook app available (see below for features list).
Fascinated by the story of Joan of Arc, but unhappy with "the whitewash which disfigures her beyond recognition," G.B. Shaw presents a realistic Joan at war. This is a masterpiece of the Theater of Ideas, presented in the most eloquent, vital, human, and moving terms. Blackstone commissioned this production from the award-winning Hollywood Theater of the Ear (Sweeney Todd and the String of Pearls, The Sherlock Holmes Theatre, The Dybbuk).
Self-contained, this audiobook app is perfect for your commute, on a trip, or while relaxing. Based on a library-quality recording, this app was built especially for your iPhone and iPod Touch. No unreadable text, no endless scrolling. The audio is of higher-than-normal quality, making for a great listening experience that will not tire your ears or grate on your nerves.
NOTICE: This app includes the same 5-star recording that is available through other retailers for higher prices. It is unabridged and professionally recorded at Blackstone Audio and read by Amy Irving, Edward Herrmann, Kristoffer Tabori, and a distinguished cast. You are not buying yet another amateur or volunteer narration. No clicks, background noises, throat clearing, mispronunciations, tinny voices or monotones will be found here.
“...[T]he most fervent thing Shaw ever wrote – the play that is poetically the most moving, that comes closest to high tragedy, a work inspired with a truly elating sense of justice; a work in which the mature rationality of en esprit fort that has outgrown the confines of the eighteenth and even the nineteenth century, bows before sanctity; a work fully deserving its world fame.” —Thomas Mann
• EXPERIENCE. About 3.5 hours of narration. Created as a Folium enhancedAudio™ edition, this book includes extra functions and features not found on lesser players.
• PLAYER CONTROLS. Includes listen (play), pause, multi-speed fast forward/reverse, jump ahead/back, chapter skip, volume control, one-touch chapter- and bookmark browser. There is also a “scrub” bar that finds any point inside the chapter with just a tap.
• SLEEP TIMER. Have you ever fallen asleep watching TV or listening to a book? If so, you'll love this feature. Once set, the book will stop, place a bookmark, and allow you to jump back to where you probably began dozing.
• CLEAR & ELEGANT DESIGN. Simple, clean, intuitive, and smarter than average.
• CHAPTER TIMINGS. Always know how much time it will take to finish a chapter. Plus, the progress bar at the top of the screen shows how far into the book you’ve come.
• OFFLINE LISTENING. You are airplane-ready! Once downloaded, listen uninterrupted without threat from a lost network connection. Downloads are usually just 5-10 minutes, but depend upon your network speed.
• AUTO-BOOKMARKING. The player remembers where you stopped listening and returns to that exact spot when you open the book again.
RATING: 9+ For some historic violence.
“Joan of Arc, a village girl from the Vosges, was born about 1412 — burnt for heresy, witchcraft, and sorcery in 1431— rehabilitated after a fashion in 1456 — designated Venerable in 1904 — declared Blessed in 1908 — and finally canonized in 1920. She is the most notable Warrior-Saint in the Christian calendar, and the queerest fish among the
eccentric worthies of the Middle Ages.”
—George Bernard Shaw
- iPod Touch