The Bloomsday Dead by Adrian McKinty (unabridged) was produced by Blackstone Audio and comes with what is perhaps the best audiobook app available (see below for features list).
Winner of the AudioFile Earphones Award
In this concluding book of Adrian McKinty’s highly praised Dead series, Michael Forsythe confronts his former lover and now archrival, Bridget.
Michael has survived his infiltration of an IRA splinter cell in Boston, and now, his many near fatal wounds healed, he begins his next adventure as manager of hotel security in Lima, Peru. It is there that he is contacted by his former lover, Bridget, whose fiancée he killed. Bridget, calling from Dublin, says that her eleven-year-old daughter has been kidnapped. Michael's choice is to fly to Dublin and help her find the girl, or be executed at the hands of the goons holding him at gunpoint. He agrees to nothing, and is soon on the way to Dublin, leaving the first two of many dead bodies in his wake.
Self-contained, this audiobook app is perfect for your commute, on a trip, or while relaxing. Based on a library-quality recording, this app was built especially for your iPhone and iPod Touch. No unreadable text, no endless scrolling. The audio is of higher-than-normal quality, making for a great listening experience that will not tire your ears or grate on your nerves.
NOTICE: This app includes the same 5-star recording that is available through other retailers for higher prices. It is unabridged and professionally recorded at Blackstone Audio by Audie Award winner Gerard Doyle. You are not buying yet another amateur or volunteer narration. No clicks, background noises, throat clearing, mispronunciations, tinny voices or monotones will be found here.
“[H]is most visceral, satisfying effort yet… McKinty writes masterful action scenes, and he whips up a frenzy as the bullets begin to fly.” —Publishers Weekly (starred review)
• EXPERIENCE. About 11 hours of narration. Created as a Folium enhancedAudio™ edition, this book includes extra functions and features not found on lesser players.
• PLAYER CONTROLS. Includes listen (play), pause, multi-speed fast forward/reverse, jump ahead/back, chapter skip, volume control, one-touch chapter- and bookmark browser. There is also a “scrub” bar that finds any point inside the chapter with just a tap.
• SLEEP TIMER. Have you ever fallen asleep watching TV or listening to a book? If so, you'll love this feature. Once set, the book will stop, place a bookmark, and allow you to jump back to where you probably began dozing.
• CLEAR & ELEGANT DESIGN. Simple, clean, intuitive, and smarter than average.
• CHAPTER TIMINGS. Always know how much time it will take to finish a chapter. Plus, the progress bar at the top of the screen shows how far into the book you’ve come.
• OFFLINE LISTENING. You are airplane-ready! Once downloaded, listen uninterrupted without threat from a lost network connection. Downloads are usually just 5-10 minutes, but depend upon your network speed.
• AUTO-BOOKMARKING. The player remembers where you stopped listening and returns to that exact spot when you open the book again.
RATING: 12+ For espionage, violence, and mature themes.
“A near-perfect marriage of fiction and performance, The Bloomsday Dead is a must-listen… Forsythe is portrayed by Doyle in an intimate virtuoso performance that intensifies the taut, gritty writing. Every nuance of the protagonist's soul lives in the read… There is never a lack of distinct personality in this soaring, tragic story.” —AudioFile
- iPod Touch