“Alo, hi! My name is Gamenlie, but you can call me Gabou. My parents, Manman and Papa, and I live in a village near the home of my grandparents and my great-grandmother. It’s fun to have so many relatives nearby, especially when it’s time to celebrate. Come, join me!”
So begins this delightful photo story app that introduces young readers to a life similar to their own and yet fascinatingly different – that of Gabou, a young Haitian girl. Using photos rather than illustrations and first-person narration, Gabou invites readers to join her as celebrates her uncle’s wedding, feeds her family’s pig, and plays during recess at school, among other activities.
Experience cultural immersion for the youngest reader AND make an international friend!
By highlighting what our children have in common with others no matter where they live, this book lays the foundation for cultural understanding and openness among the youngest readers.
For children 3+ years.
• “Gabou’s story”: full-color photos accompany the unique story of Gabou’s life in Haiti. (Excerpt)
• “Speak Kreyòl with Me”: Learn to count to 10 in Haitian Kreyòl, impress your friends with simple Kreyòl phrases, and learn vocabulary from Gabou’s story (Available in the Full Version)
• “Fun Facts about Haiti”: Did you know that Haiti is slightly larger than Massachusetts? Learn other interesting facts about Haiti. (Excerpt)
• “Tell Me About Yourself”: Interact with Gabou as she asks readers to tell her about their lives and think of things they could do together. (Available in the Full Version)
• App is fully functional in 3 languages: English, Dutch and French
• Narrated in English, Dutch and French or turn off the narration and read the story yourself
• Phonetic spelling of all Kreyòl words helps readers to pronounce Kreyòl correctly (Available in the Full Version)
• Special child-friendly navigation tools
One Globe Kids believes in the curiosity, creativity and openness that come from knowing about the One Globe we share. Our products lay an early foundation for these core values, helping to raise a new generation of modern, global citizens. Visit www.oneglobekids.com for more information.
How We Support Haiti: The photos for this story were taken in November 2009. In January 2010 Haiti experienced a devastating earthquake. Valdo and Gabou from the My Haiti e-book series, as well as their families, survived the quake. However, their daily lives have changed, as have those of most Haitians. One Globe Kids aims to help their community, and others, create a better future for Haiti’s children. Thank you.
Look for new stories in the One Globe Kids e-book series of international iPhone, iPad, and iTouch apps for young readers.
Coming soon: The Netherlands, Indonesia and New York City!
One Globe Kids is a family-friendly product line developed by Round by Design.
- iPod Touch