"SHUEITAI'S COMPLETE TYPE SPECIMEN BOOK" is distributed as Electronic Book series of "Printing Type Specimen Book" published by Shueisha/Dai Nippon Printing between Meiji periods to Showa period. You can enjoy long year’s accumulated beauty and rich variation of "SHUEITAI."
We have completed distributing all 35 of specimen books as of July, 2011.
To express our gratitude to those of you who purchased all 35 specimen books, we are now distributing free photo album "PAST AND PRESENT OF SHUEITAI", which contains typographical printing scenes of Dai Nippon Printing or Shueish, who have been developing SHUEITAI.
Please enjoy our photo album along with the book of pattern.
It’s best for people:
・interested in Printing (letterpress printing in particular)
・Graphic Designer, Book Designer, and Editor
What is "SHUEITAI TYPE SPECIMEN BOOK"? :
- SHUEITAI is Japanese leading typeface that has been developed since the Meiji period (1868-1912). Mainly used in a Publications.
- In the times when type printing was prosperous, the print company published "Printing Type Specimen Book" to introduce their own printing types. It is divided into two kinds of Specimen Book, which are "Total Specimen Book" introducing all kinds of own type style and "All Word Type Specimen Book" introducing all characters including each size of "Kanji Character" to "Symbol."
- Dai Nippon Printing has been established the digital archive of its owned thirty-two "Printing Type Specimen Book", and will distribute as Electronic Book sequentially (35 times).
What is this font?:
- A sorts used in typesetting pre-war era carved manually each character in the opposite direction actual size. Great typeface was born because there were elaborate and highly skilled craftsmen.
-Ming typefaces are full of masterpieces in a SHUEITAI. In a printing type era, size of printing type often equals purpose of use. Therefore, big size fonts designed for eye-catching and small fonts for readability. SHUEITAI has such rich variations.
- When this specimen book was created, rich culture was emerged one after another as spread of newspapers and media and modern publishing.
- It looks like the image of modern Japan, is it? Understanding of the typeface style 100 years ago, you may find a hint of design and publishing going to the next generation.
- iPod Touch