Expand your enjoyment of literature with BLUE AT THE MIZZEN by Patrick O’Brian (unabridged). This interactive mash-up experience contains a multitude of features and content to help take you beyond the words, by providing a 5-star professional reading, background extras, and more.
NOTE: This app is fully accessible, and includes support for VoiceOver.
Napoleon has been defeated at Waterloo, but the ensuing peace becomes ugly for Captain Jack Aubrey, with violent celebrations of the English sailors in Gibraltar and the desertion of nearly half his crew. To cap it all off, the Surprise is nearly sunk in a shattering night collision on the first leg of her journey to South America, where Jack and Stephen are to help Chile assert her independence from Spain.
The delay for repairs reaps a harvest of strange consequences, and then the South American expedition is a desperate affair, starting with near disaster in the ice-choked seas far south of the Horn. In the end, Jack, again the daring frigate commander of old, stakes all on a desperate solo night raid against the might of the Spanish viceroy in Peru.
Self-contained, this app is perfect for your commute, on a trip, or while relaxing. This app was built especially for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch, meaning it fits your device perfectly. The audio is of higher-than-normal quality, making for a great listening experience that will not tire your ears or grate on your nerves.
This was professionally recorded at the Blackstone Audio studios by Audie® Award-winning narrator Simon Vance.
• EXPERIENCE. About 8.50 hours of narration. Created on the Folium enhancedAudio™ framework, this app includes extra functions and features not found in either e-book readers or audiobook players.
• PLAY IT YOUR WAY. Listening at home or the office? Tap into remote speakers with AirPlay.
• CONTROL IT. The audio player offers multi-speed fast forward/reverse, jump ahead/back, chapter skip, volume control, plus a one-touch chapter browser. The ‘scrub’ bar lets you point anywhere inside a chapter with just a tap, and now you can shake‘n’pause to temporarily halt playback instantly without looking at the screen.
• SLEEP TIMER. Have you ever fallen asleep watching TV or listening to a book? If so, you'll love this feature. Once set, the playback will stop, place a bookmark, and allow you to jump back to where you probably began dozing.
• OFFLINE LISTENING. You are airline-approved! Once you’ve downloaded the app, you’re free from the threat of an interrupted connection. Downloads usually take just 5-10 minutes, but depend upon your network speed.
• CLEAR & ELEGANT DESIGN. Simple, clean, intuitive, and intelligent.
• CHAPTER TIMINGS. Always know how much time it will take to finish a chapter. Plus, the progress bar at the top of the screen shows how far into the recording you’ve come.
• AUTO-BOOKMARKING. The player remembers where you stopped listening and returns to that exact spot when you open the app again.
• TELL-A-FRIEND. An easy way to recommend the book to your friends.
• FEEDBACK. Share your ideas for functions, and features. We are very responsive to our listeners and appreciate all feedback and ideas.
• GET MORE. Other titles that you might enjoy are updated over time, helping you find that next great experience to enjoy.
RATING: Suitable for adults who enjoy literary works of historical fiction or O’Brian’s Aubrey-Maturin series.
“The book contains the usual splendid blend of nautical detail and political intrigue, savage battles and naturalists' musing, all ratified by O'Brian's seemingly effortless ability to deploy the vocabulary and idioms of the time.” (New Yorker)
“O’Brian is not that hard a taste to acquire, but he is very tough to shake…. [The Aubrey-Maturin series] is a great work.” (Boston Globe)
- iPod Touch