Expand your enjoyment of literature with THE YELLOW ADMIRAL by Patrick O’Brian (unabridged). This interactive mash-up experience contains a multitude of features and content to help take you beyond the words, by providing a 5-star professional reading, background extras, and more.
NOTE: This app is fully accessible, and includes support for VoiceOver.
Life ashore may once again be the undoing of Captain Jack Aubrey of the Royal Navy. He is feuding with his neighbor and on even worse terms with his wife, whose mother has ferreted out a damaging trove of old personal letters. His erratic voting as a member of Parliament has dimmed his prospects at the Admiralty; and with the outbreak of peace in 1814, Aubrey fears being yellowed, that is, nominally promoted to the rank of admiral without a squadron to command.
But Stephen Maturin returns from France with the news that the Chileans, to secure their independence, require an English navy. And just as Jack is dusting off his captain’s hat, an urgent dispatch orders him to Gibraltar: Napoleon has escaped from Elba.
Self-contained, this app is perfect for your commute, on a trip, or while relaxing. This app was built especially for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch, meaning it fits your device perfectly. The audio is of higher-than-normal quality, making for a great listening experience that will not tire your ears or grate on your nerves.
This was professionally recorded at the Blackstone Audio studios by Audie® Award-winning narrator Simon Vance.
• EXPERIENCE. About 8.50 hours of narration. Created on the Folium enhancedAudio™ framework, this app includes extra functions and features not found in either e-book readers or audiobook players.
• PLAY IT YOUR WAY. Listening at home or the office? Tap into remote speakers with AirPlay.
• CONTROL IT. The audio player offers multi-speed fast forward/reverse, jump ahead/back, chapter skip, volume control, plus a one-touch chapter browser. The ‘scrub’ bar lets you point anywhere inside a chapter with just a tap, and now you can shake‘n’pause to temporarily halt playback instantly without looking at the screen.
• SLEEP TIMER. Have you ever fallen asleep watching TV or listening to a book? If so, you'll love this feature. Once set, the playback will stop, place a bookmark, and allow you to jump back to where you probably began dozing.
• OFFLINE LISTENING. You are airline-approved! Once you’ve downloaded the app, you’re free from the threat of an interrupted connection. Downloads usually take just 5-10 minutes, but depend upon your network speed.
• CLEAR & ELEGANT DESIGN. Simple, clean, intuitive, and intelligent.
• CHAPTER TIMINGS. Always know how much time it will take to finish a chapter. Plus, the progress bar at the top of the screen shows how far into the recording you’ve come.
• AUTO-BOOKMARKING. The player remembers where you stopped listening and returns to that exact spot when you open the app again.
• TELL-A-FRIEND. An easy way to recommend the book to your friends.
• FEEDBACK. Share your ideas for functions, and features. We are very responsive to our listeners and appreciate all feedback and ideas.
• GET MORE. Other titles that you might enjoy are updated over time, helping you find that next great experience to enjoy.
RATING: Suitable for adults who enjoy literary works of historical fiction or O’Brian’s Aubrey-Maturin series.
“Aubrey and Maturin are the most enjoyable literary companions since Holmes and Watson.” (Detroit Free Press)
“O’Brian is at the top of his elegant form here. He offers a wealth of sly humor…some splendid set pieces, characters who are palpably real and, as always, lapidary prose. This is splendid storytelling from a true master.” (Publishers Weekly)
- iPod Touch