A RAINBOW IN THE NIGHT by Dominique Lapierre (unabridged) is presented by Blackstone Audio and comes with what is perhaps the best audiobook app available (see FEATURES, below).
When the first Dutch Calvinist settlers arrived in South Africa, they believed that they had been chosen by God to rule over the world. Their bloody and fervent saga would culminate three centuries in the establishment of apartheid.
NOTICE: This app includes the exact same 5-star recording offered elsewhere at much higher prices. It was professionally recorded by Blackstone Audio’s Earphones® Award-winning narrator, Stefan Rudnicki. You are not buying yet another amateur or volunteer narration. No clicks, background noises, throat clearing, mispronunciations, tinny voices or monotones will be found here.
“A concise, up-to-date account that beautifully translates to audio.” (Library Journal)
• EXPERIENCE. About 8.5 hours of narration. Created as a Folium enhancedAudio™ edition, this book includes extra functions and features not found on lesser players.
• PLAYER CONTROLS. Includes listen (play), pause, multi-speed fast forward/reverse, jump ahead/back, chapter skip, volume control, one-touch chapter- and bookmark browser. There is also a “scrub” bar that finds any point inside the chapter with just a tap.
• SLEEP TIMER. Have you ever fallen asleep watching TV or listening to a book? If so, you'll love this feature. Once set, the book will stop, place a bookmark, and allow you to jump back to where you probably began dozing.
• CLEAR & ELEGANT DESIGN. Simple, clean, intuitive, and smarter than average.
• CHAPTER TIMINGS. Always know how much time it will take to finish a chapter. Plus, the progress bar at the top of the screen shows how far into the book you’ve come.
• OFFLINE LISTENING. You are airplane-ready! Once downloaded, listen uninterrupted without threat from a lost network connection. Downloads are usually just 5-10 minutes, but depend upon your network speed.
• AUTO-BOOKMARKING. The player remembers where you stopped listening and returns to that exact spot when you open the book again.
• TELL-A-FRIEND. An easy way to recommend the book to your friends or Twitter feed.
• FEEDBACK. Share your ideas for books, functions, and features. We are very responsive to our listeners and appreciate all feedback and ideas.
RATING: Suitable for adults interested in South African history.
When a boatload of Dutch Calvinists settled the southernmost tip of Africa, they were convinced by their strict faith that they were among the “elect,” chosen by God to rule over the world. These first colonists would, over time, take on the black tribes, fortune hunters in search of diamonds and gold, and the scarlet-clad regiments of Queen Victoria. Their bloody, ferocious, and fervent saga would culminate three centuries later in one of human history’s most notorious political regimes, the establishment of apartheid, and a nation built solely on a system of racism.
An international best-seller that has been praised throughout Europe, Lapierre’s tragic yet heroic history of South Africa now appears for the first time in English.
- iPod Touch