THE DEVIL KNOWS HOW TO RIDE by Edward E. Leslie (unabridged) is presented by Blackstone Audio and comes with what is perhaps the best audiobook app available (see FEATURES, below).
“Leslie does a remarkably thorough job of telling Quantrill's bloody story….Highly recommended for Civil War buffs and students of frontier history.” (Kirkus Reviews)
The author brilliantly weaves together eyewitness accounts, memoirs, and the reports of military officers into this riveting narrative of William Clarke Quantrill, a quiet Ohio schoolteacher and Confederate soldier who became the most feared and notorious guerrilla of the Civil War.
Self-contained, this audiobook app is perfect for your commute, on a trip, or while relaxing. Based on a library-quality recording, this app was built especially for your iPhone and iPod Touch. No unreadable text, no endless scrolling on a tiny screen. The audio is of higher-than-normal quality, making for a great listening experience that will not tire your ears or grate on your nerves.
NOTICE: This app includes the exact same 5-star recording offered elsewhere at much higher prices. It was professionally recorded by Blackstone Audio’s narrator, Patrick Cullen. You are not buying yet another amateur or volunteer narration. No clicks, background noises, throat clearing, mispronunciations, tinny voices or monotones will be found here.
“A compelling portrait…This is a story that would seem unbelievable if written as fiction and that, thanks to the talents of author and narrator, will leave listeners intrigued.” (AudioFile)
• EXPERIENCE. About 19 hours of narration. Created as a Folium enhancedAudio™ edition, this book includes extra functions and features not found on lesser players.
• PLAYER CONTROLS. Includes listen (play), pause, multi-speed fast forward/reverse, jump ahead/back, chapter skip, volume control, one-touch chapter- and bookmark browser. There is also a “scrub” bar that finds any point inside the chapter with just a tap.
• SLEEP TIMER. Have you ever fallen asleep watching TV or listening to a book? If so, you'll love this feature. Once set, the book will stop, place a bookmark, and allow you to jump back to where you probably began dozing.
• CLEAR & ELEGANT DESIGN. Simple, clean, intuitive, and smarter than average.
• CHAPTER TIMINGS. Always know how much time it will take to finish a chapter. Plus, the progress bar at the top of the screen shows how far into the book you’ve come.
• OFFLINE LISTENING. You are airplane-ready! Once downloaded, listen uninterrupted without threat from a lost network connection. Downloads are usually just 5-10 minutes, but depend upon your network speed.
• AUTO-BOOKMARKING. The player remembers where you stopped listening and returns to that exact spot when you open the book again.
• TELL-A-FRIEND. An easy way to recommend the book to your friends or Twitter feed.
• FEEDBACK. Share your ideas for books, functions, and features. We are very responsive to our listeners and appreciate all feedback and ideas.
RATING: Suitable for anyone interested in Civil War figures, frontier history, and famous outlaws.
William Clarke Quantrill was a quiet Ohio schoolteacher and Confederate soldier who became the most feared and notorious guerrilla of the Civil War. A brilliant tactician, Quantrill was a brave and charismatic man who attracted hundreds to his side—notably the teenaged Frank James, Jesse James, and Cole Younger. Author Edward E. Leslie brilliantly weaves together eyewitness accounts, letters, memoirs, and the reports of military officers and newspaper correspondents into a riveting narrative. Not only has he written the definitive biography of Quantrill, but he is also the first historian to present a balanced portrait of the legendary raider.
- iPod Touch