JEFF IN VENICE, DEATH IN VARANASI by Geoff Dyer (unabridged) is presented by Blackstone Audio and comes with what is perhaps the best audiobook app available (see FEATURES, below).
“A raucous delight…Very funny, full of nerve, gutsy and delicious. Venice will never be the same again!” (Michael Ondaatje)
Could two stories, in two different cities, actually be the same story? In Venice, a jaded art critic is rejuvenated by a whirlwind love affair. In Varanasi, a spiritual seeker, who may or may not be the same narrator we met in Venice, observes from outside a romance that reflects the pleasures he has renounced.
Self-contained, this audiobook app is perfect for your commute, on a trip, or while relaxing. Based on a library-quality recording, this app was built especially for your iPhone and iPod Touch. No unreadable text, no endless scrolling on a tiny screen. The audio is of higher-than-normal quality, making for a great listening experience that will not tire your ears or grate on your nerves.
NOTICE: This app includes the exact same 5-star recording offered elsewhere at much higher prices. It was professionally recorded by Blackstone Audio’s Audie®-winning narrator, Simon Vance. You are not buying yet another amateur or volunteer narration. No clicks, background noises, throat clearing, mispronunciations, tinny voices or monotones will be found here.
“Profoundly haunting and fearless…Dyer at his best.” (New York Times Book Review)
• EXPERIENCE. About 9.5 hours of narration. Created as a Folium enhancedAudio™ edition, this book includes extra functions and features not found on lesser players.
• PLAYER CONTROLS. Includes listen (play), pause, multi-speed fast forward/reverse, jump ahead/back, chapter skip, volume control, one-touch chapter- and bookmark browser. There is also a “scrub” bar that finds any point inside the chapter with just a tap.
• SLEEP TIMER. Have you ever fallen asleep watching TV or listening to a book? If so, you'll love this feature. Once set, the book will stop, place a bookmark, and allow you to jump back to where you probably began dozing.
• CLEAR & ELEGANT DESIGN. Simple, clean, intuitive, and smarter than average.
• CHAPTER TIMINGS. Always know how much time it will take to finish a chapter. Plus, the progress bar at the top of the screen shows how far into the book you’ve come.
• OFFLINE LISTENING. You are airplane-ready! Once downloaded, listen uninterrupted without threat from a lost network connection. Downloads are usually just 5-10 minutes, but depend upon your network speed.
• AUTO-BOOKMARKING. The player remembers where you stopped listening and returns to that exact spot when you open the book again.
• TELL-A-FRIEND. An easy way to recommend the book to your friends or Twitter feed.
• FEEDBACK. Share your ideas for books, functions, and features. We are very responsive to our listeners and appreciate all feedback and ideas.
RATING: Suitable for adults who like novels that seamlessly blend romance, zany humor, and travel.
The international art world descends on Venice for the opening of the Biennale. Among them is Jeff Atman, a jaded journalist whose partygoing is only occasionally interrupted by the obligation to file a story. When he meets the spellbinding Laura, their romance blossoms quickly, but will it disappear just as rapidly? Meanwhile, every day thousands of pilgrims head to the Ganges at Varanasi. Among them is a narrator, possibly Atman. While there, he finds a hitherto unexamined idea of himself, and in the process, two ancient and watery cities become versions of each other.
- iPod Touch