Now a Universal App!
“...even better than its predecessor. Is there any way to give a five-and-a-half star review?”—Lory Gil, Padgadget
Middle school social drama can flare up without warning and turn your world upside down. At times like this, you may wonder, “Who are my real friends?” Based on the second book in the award-winning Middle School Confidential™ series, Real Friends vs. the Other Kind follows Jack, Jen, Chris, Abby, Mateo, and Michelle from the first app as they forge friendships and navigate tough social situations. They run into relationship issues such as making friends, resolving disputes, and dealing with gossip, exclusion, and cyberbullying.
Written by teen expert and anti-bullying activist Annie Fox, illustrated by Matt Kindt, and published by Free Spirit Publishing, this graphic novel app enables readers to zoom right into the story world. The app puts decision-making power into the hands of readers, with interactive quizzes that test what a real friend would do in a given situation. With beautiful full-color illustrations and richly layered audio made up of movie-like sound effects and music, Real Friends will be a surefire hit with 8- to 14-year-olds (even those who don’t like to read!). As a bonus for parents and teachers, this app puts thought-provoking storytelling and solutions into the hands of teens who deal with tricky friendship issues every day. It will challenge teens to think about their friendships in new ways and encourage them to stand up for themselves and be more empathetic.
“...Annie Fox’s series of graphic novels was cutting-edge in print—[but] even more amazing on the iPad! I am delighted to see the quizzes from the book included in this second app. These interactive activities can help young people integrate the important lessons from the novels into their lives. Electric Eggplant has really perfected an otherwise near-perfect series with this additional interactive content.”—Carisa Kluver, Digital Storytime
“Two thumbs up! This is a series not to be missed.”–Andrea Gardner, Applicable2U
“Who needs to pay $8 for a movie ticket, when you have the drama of middle school right in your hand?”—Lori Calabrese, National Children’s Books Examiner.com
“Will challenge teens to reflect upon their relationships and think critically about what it means to be a true friend.”—Mindy Douglas, Software Smoothie
• Graphic novel format for easy reading
• Interactive quizzes test what you would do in a sticky social situation
• Page swipe or touch page edges for easy navigation
• Auto-save feature remembers your place in the story
• Info page allows you to jump to the beginning of any of the 8 chapters
• 38 pages of story plus bonus Meet the Cast pages
• Two modes of reading: full-page mode or double-tap to zoom-in for frame-by-frame reading
• Movie-like sound effects and music (enhanced sound in zoomed-in mode)
• Compelling stories that deal with universal tween and early teenage stumbling blocks:
+ The Boyfriend/Girlfriend Zone
+ Communication problems
+ Conflict resolution
+ Out of control emotions
+ Friendship issues
+ Peer Approval Addiction (doing whatever it takes to fit in)
• Thoughtful solutions for teens grappling with personal and social issues
• Designed for the hard-to-reach “tween” age group, including reluctant readers
• Powerful addition to an advisory or character education curriculum
• Ideal for teachers who use technology in the classroom
Electric Eggplant is a member of Moms with Apps, a collaborative group of family-friendly developers seeking to promote quality apps for kids and families.
Recommended Ages: 8-14
Categories: Books, Reading
- iPod Touch