“CRIMSON Chronicles” is a very special photo book, shot from a vantage point nobody else has - that of the bass player onstage with the band. This book app features the early years of the King Crimson’s incarnation with Robert Fripp, Bill Bruford, Adrian Belew, and Tony Levin starting with writing the groundbreaking Discipline album, and it chronicles life on the road, backstage, rehearsals, composition and more… a real treat for any King Crimson enthusiast and anybody that wants an in depth, yet humorous look at behind the scenes of a rock band.
“This is not just pages of photos - I wanted to take advantage of the latest technologies in books for tablets to bring this King Crimson experience to a whole new level… adding interactivity, voice commentary and anecdotes, animation, videos and new original music to the photos. We’ve got some surprising features I’m sure will be enjoyed.” - Tony Levin
“CRIMSON Chronicles is the most immersive, interactive and visually advanced eBook I have ever seen. It unquestionably sets a whole new standard for the format. It’s much more than an eBook -- it’s an amazing multimedia event.” - Anil Prasad, Innerviews
“CRIMSON Chronicles” allows you to experience Tony Levin’s photography like it was never possible before. Zoom into the photos, listen to the music and sounds, watch behind the scenes videos and be treated to great special visual effects. And if you have an AppleTV you can watch all photos in extra large format in your HDTV in mirror mode as if you entered a multimedia King Crimson museum.
This iPad Book features:
• Six tracks of original previously unreleased music by Tony Levin written for this book.
• Two “Behind the Scenes” videos: The Elephant Talk Stick Part and Nikomat and Photo setup.
• New hilarious Video Clip: The King Crimson Barber Shop.
• Hundreds of high quality images from Tony Levin’s collection.
• Amazing Visual Effects that bring depth to Tony Levin’s Photography.
• Sound Effects by Tony Levin.
• Photo Stacks of snapshots that you can manipulate as real photos, zoom, rotate and even “dig into” to read comments and listen to anecdotes specially recorded for this book by Tony.
• Use “Tony’s Black and White Camera” to take your picture with your iPad and add it to a stack of King Crimson photos so it will be part of the book.
• Photo Galleries with Music.
• Contacts and negative strips with “peel off” commentary.
• Wallpapers for your iPad: Robert Fripp, Adrian Belew, Bill Bruford and Tony Levin.
• Interactive Video Help to discover all the book’s hidden secrets.
• All access backstage pass shaped thumbnails to navigate the book.
• Chapters Menu and interactive Table of Contents.
• Share Photos with friends via email, Facebook and Twitter.
and much more…
Tony Levin is an American progressive rock musician, specializing in bass guitar, Chapman stick and upright bass (although he also sings and plays synthesizer).
Levin is best known for his work with progressive rock pioneers King Crimson and Peter Gabriel. He has also been a member of Liquid Tension Experiment; the King Crimson-related bands Bruford Levin Upper Extremities, ProjeKct One and ProjeKct Four; and currently leads his own band, “Stick Men.”
A prolific session musician since the 1970s, Levin has played on five hundred albums, including those of Cher, Alice Cooper, John Lennon, Sarah McLachlan, Stevie Nicks, Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Lou Reed, Tom Waits, Buddy Rich, The Roches, Todd Rundgren, Seal, Yes and Warren Zevon. Additionally, he has toured with artists including Paul Simon (with whom Tony appeared in Simon’s 1980 film One Trick Pony), Gary Burton, James Taylor, Herbie Mann, Judy Collins, Carly Simon, Peter Frampton, Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe and Peter Gabriel.
Levin helped to popularize the Chapman Stick and the NS upright bass. He also created “funk fingers”, modified drumsticks attached to fingers used to hit the bass guitar strings.