What is Given, What is Made is a multimedia collection of Jake Adam York’s barbecue-themed poetry. The eleven poems, selected by Jake, are accompanied by previously unreleased audio recordings of the poet reading his work.
The collection is presented in "multimedia chapbook" form as a collaboration with New Orleans-based photographer Pableaux Johnson. The collection also includes an introduction by poets Brian Barker and Nicky Beer and a moving eulogy written by Jake's brother, filmmaker Joe York.
The poems included in the collection are:
• What Is Given, What Is Made
• To the Unconverted
• te lyra pulsa manu
• Cookin’ With the Miles Davis Quintet
• Otis, His Forbidden Cue, Helotes, TX
• Rolling Stones, Twix-N-Tween
• Letter Written on a $100 Bill
• Self-Portrait in the Town Where I Was Born
The project was inspired by the poetry readings held at the Southern Foodways Alliances’s annual symposium.