Builders Buddy is a construction cost estimator & calculator for new houses, renovations & additions or extensions.
The calculator gives a preliminary estimate of building costs. It is only suitable for use before any detailed plans are made.
* Unit of measure: feet or metres
* Currency symbols: dollars, pounds or euros
* Accounts for level of finishes
* Factors-in site conditions
* Editable defaults
* Save estimates
* Email estimates
* Detailed help pages
Calculations are performed per unit of area (metres or feet). Different values can be set for outdoor spaces (decks, verandahs & patios), internal areas and garages. Defaults are provided for these values but it is important that users set their own default values.
How to use Builders Buddy
To use the calculator page simply tap on the up or down arrows (as shown on the screen shots) to increase the number of rooms or the room area. The estimated cost will increase or decrease automatically after each click. Tapping-and-holding will accelerate the rate at which the vales increase or decrease.
The calculator factors in circulation which refers to hallways, stairs & entrances. For a basic low-budget house 10% is recommended. If you want the house to feel spacious use 20% - 25%.
If rooms are different sizes use an average size.
Use the set-up page (as shown above) to change the underlying values used to estimate the cost of construction.
Default values built into Builders Buddy are as follows:
(NOTE: You can change default values and set values more suitable for your area & project. Default values are not applied if you set your own costs on the set-up page.)
* If the job is a renovation or addition double the base rate.
* If the site is 'fair', and the project type is 'new building', add 7% to the base rate.
* If the site is 'difficult', and the project type is 'new building', add 20% to the base rate.
* If the quality of finishes is 'standard', add $300 per square metre or $30 oer square foot
* If the quality of finishes is 'high', add $600 per square metre or $60 per square foot.
- iPod Touch