A quick and easy way to calculate a number of common grazing related equations used by dairy farmers.
This app was developed in collaboration with dairy farmers and farm consultants. Designed to be used out on the farm and on the go to allow farmers to get the numbers they need, when they need them.
About the calculators:
● Days in Paddock - Work out the approximate number of days to leave a specific number of cows in a paddock using either:
◦ kg dry matter allocation per cow per day based on paddock size (ha), cover (kgDM/ha) and residual (kgDM/ha).
◦ square meter allocation per cow per day based on paddock size (ha)
● kgDM/Cow/Day - Work out approximately how many kg of dry matter per cow per day you will get from a paddock based on paddock size (ha), cover (kgDM/ha), residual (kgDM/ha), number of cows and number of days.
● Crop Allocation - Work out the approximate area of crop to allocate (in square meters) based on yield (tonnes DM per hectare), the number of cows and the kg dry matter per cow per day required.
This result can then be used to:
◦ calculate the approximate number of days you can leave the cows in a paddock based on paddock area (ha).
◦ calculate approximately where to put the break fence in a paddock based on primary fence length (m).
● Pre-Grazing Cover - Work out the target pre-grazing cover or the paddock trigger level (in kg of dry matter) based on stocking rate (cows/ha), intake (kgDM/cow), round length or rotation (days) and the optimum residual (kgDM/ha).
● Average Pasture Cover - Work out the approximate average pasture cover for your farm based the pre-grazing cover and optimum residual. Enter the values directly or import them from the Pre-Grazing Cover calculator.
● Send a SMS containing the values used and the result of the calculation.
- iPod Touch