Based on the world's largest corpus of American English, the Cambridge Dictionary of American English provides up-to-date vocabulary, easy-to-understand definitions, helpful usage notes, and examples that show how English is really used. The second edition offers advanced search features and a thesaurus. The audio version features spoken pronunciations for every word.
• The most up-to-date dictionary of American English available.
• Over 60,000 meanings and examples are included.
• Organized by meaning, so there's no guesswork needed to find the exact meaning a student is looking for.
• Full-sentence, corpus-based examples show how English is really used.
• Up-to-date vocabulary ("DSL," "Jihad," "morph," "PDA," "retro," "Wiki") defines the language of today.
• More then 200 usage panels help you avoid errors commonly made in English.
• Usage notes help learners to avoid common mistakes.
• Frequency information helps learners identify the words they need to know.
• Clear definitions make meanings easy-to-understand.
• Guidewords help learners find the meaning they want—fast!
• Full-sentence examples show how English is really used.
A SEARCH TOOL
featuring search autocomplete to help you find words quickly by displaying predictions similar to the terms you're typing. You also get enhanced search extras including:
• A quick search of words while you type.
• A 'fuzzy filter' for when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word.
• A 'keyword' search for finding key words within compound words.
• A wild card search function ('*' or '?') which can replace a letter or entire parts of a word.
• Download dictionary definitions locally for offline word lookup.
A LEARNING TOOL
including a number of features that help you further enhance your vocabulary:
• A 'Favorites' feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library, including cross-curriculum words.
• History list to help you easily review looked-up words.
• Discover more using the included special language notes.
• See words in context with example sentences.
• 'Word-of-the-day' feature with dedicated homescreen widget.