You will find all the words you need, defined clearly in full sentences. Including a range of 17,000 headwords, 63,000 references and 25,000 examples, the information in this dictionary has been carefully chosen in order to allow the dictionary user to be a confident language user. It will enable you to write better English as well as understand English better.
The Collins COBUILD Intermediate Dictionary is based on a huge database of text, both written and spoken, called The Bank of English. The Bank of English® contains over 650 million words, and it is the basis of all the statements that COBUILD makes about the language. The entries contain a detailed account of the main uses and meanings of each word. Each of the forms is listed at the start of each entry, along with information about alternative spellings, if any exist. Explanations are written in full sentences, and show typical grammatical behaviour. The explanations also give a clear description of meaning. And of course, the thousands of examples are taken directly from The Bank of English®, showing typical patterns of use and grammatical structure.
A SEARCH TOOL
featuring search autocomplete to help you find words quickly by displaying predictions similar to the terms you're typing. You also get enhanced search extras including:
• A quick search of words while you type.
• A 'fuzzy filter' for when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word.
• A 'keyword' search for finding key words within compound words.
• A wild card search function ('*' or '?') which can replace a letter or entire parts of a word.
• Download dictionary definitions locally for offline word lookup.
A LEARNING TOOL
including a number of features that help you further enhance your vocabulary:
• A 'Favorites' feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library, including cross-curriculum words.
• History list to help you easily review looked-up words.
• Discover more using the included special language notes.
• See words in context with example sentences.
• 'Word-of-the-day' feature with dedicated homescreen widget.