The best-selling Oxford Dictionary of Literary Terms (formerly the Concise dictionary) provides clear, concise, and often witty definitions of the most troublesome literary terms from abjection to zeugma. Now available in a new, fully updated and expanded edition, it offers readers increased coverage of new terms from modern critical and theoretical movements, such as feminism, and schools of American poetry, Spanish verse forms, life writing, and crime fiction.
It includes extensive coverage of traditional drama, versification, rhetoric, and literary history, as well as updated and extended advice on recommended further reading and a pronunciation guide to more than 200 terms. New to this fully revised edition are recommended entry-level web links. Boasting over 1,200 entries, it is an essential reference tool for students of literature in any language.
A SEARCH TOOL
featuring search autocomplete to help you find words quickly by displaying predictions similar to the terms you're typing. You also get enhanced search extras including:
• A quick search of words while you type.
• A 'fuzzy filter' for when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word.
• A 'keyword' search for finding key words within compound words.
• A wild card search function ('*' or '?') which can replace a letter or entire parts of a word.
• Download dictionary definitions locally for offline word lookup.
A LEARNING TOOL
including a number of features that help you further enhance your vocabulary:
• A 'Favorites' feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library, including cross-curriculum words.
• History list to help you easily review looked-up words.
• Discover more using the included special language notes.
• See words in context with example sentences.
• 'Word-of-the-day' feature with dedicated homescreen widget.
A mobile dictionary application from MobiSystems with content from Oxford University Press.